So, i haven’t posted here in seemingly forever (and it seems that each of my last few posts start off with a similar preamble), but I have a query, and figured why not send it out to the ole world wide web to see if i get any nibbles.
The following is a list of a chunk of the books i was aiming to (re-)read this summer (those i brought with me on my first stint away from home anyway). You’ll likely notice a strong theme given my full(er) investment in an ongoing sociology of science project on the structuring of problem-based interdisciplinary fields (but there are a smattering of others that I’ve merely wanted to read and/or revisit for a while).
The request is simple – if there’s one (or even better, more) books on this list that you happen to be tackling this summer as well and you’d be up for throwing a few ideas back and forth via email/phone/skype/whatever, give me a shout.
- Arum, Richard and Josipa Roksa. 2011. Academically Adrift: Limited Learning on College Campuses. University of Chicago Press
- Clawson et al. 2007. Public Sociology: Fifteen Eminent Sociologists Debate Politics and the Profession in the Twenty-first Century. University of California Press
- Crane, Diane. 1972. Invisible Colleges: Diffusion of Knowledge in Scientific Communities. University of Chicago Press
- Gilbert, Nigel and Klaus Troitzsch. 2005. Simulation for the Social Scientist. Open University Press
- Haack, Susan. 2007. Defending Science…within Reason: Between Scientism and Cynicism. Prometheus Books
- Hargittai, Eszter. 2009. Research Confidential: Solutions to Problems Most Social Scientists Pretend They Never Have. University of Michigan Press
- Michelle Lamont. 2009. How Professors Think: Inside the Curious World of Academic Judgment. Harvard University Press
- Kuhn, Thomas S. 1996 . The Structure of Scientific Revolutions. (3rd ed) University of Chicago Press
- Merton, Robert K. 1979. The Sociology of Science: Theoretical and Empirical Investigations. University of Chicago Press
- Popper, Karl. 2002 . The Logic of Scientific Discovery. Routledge Classics
- Roberts, Samuel Kelton. 2009. Infectious Fear: Politics, Disease and the Health Effects of Segregation. University of North Carolina Press
- Scott, John P. and Peter Carrington. 2011. The Sage Handbook of Social Network Analysis. Sage (likely only biting off a few sections of this one)
- Stinchcombe, Arthur. 1987. Constructing Social Theories. University of Chicago Press
- Venkatesh, Sudhir Alladi. 2009. Off the Books: The Underground Economy of the Urban Poor. Harvard University Press
- Wagner, Caroline S. 2008. The New Invisible College: Science for Development. Brookings Institution Press